As a special gift, the university, together with Nuri Hall, provided its students with a traditional Chuseok gift, called Songpyeon. As you can see, they are crescent-shaped little glutinous rice cakes. Inside of these, you will normally find some kind of savory filling - mine had something like peanut-butter, it may have been chestnut paste but I’m not sure. Anyway, the little crescents are steamed over a layer of pine needles and then given as gifts during the holiday.


It makes me sad to be here during a holiday and not be able to celebrate with my family. I went to Gapcheon river yesterday to study and take my mind away from being homesick. I’ve been thinking about my family a lot lately, since baby nephew Preston is due today, and the lonely feeling is beginning to set in. What is a beautiful moment at the river, and the wind blowing the clouds across the sky, without someone to share it with? And suddenly...I had a new friend! My very own ajumoni! A beautiful Korean woman on a bike slowed down next to me, and to my complete shock, said, “ah, hello! Are you a student here?” I was completely caught off guard, and so I answered using the best broken English I could. “Yes, student.” Fortunately, she speaks English very well, and was very interested in having a good conversation at length. If there’s one thing I know, Koreans love to take their time with conversation. I’m coming to realize, to my satisfaction, that patience is not just a virtue here, it’s a way of life. My ajumoni wanted to know everything about me, and in turn, expressed many of her own wishes and opinions. She graduated from the top university in Seoul many years ago with a bachelor’s degree. She then went on to work for Daewoo for 5 years in accounting, until she decided to start a family. She has two sons; both are very dedicated to their education, and therefore live on campus at their respective institutions. With both sons away, she tells me, “I have empty bird’s nest syndrome.” And so we have become instant friends, maybe more out of necessity than anything else. I can’t wait to visit her home, just a few minutes’ walk from Nuri hall. She has promised to teach me all things Korean, including how to prepare and make Kimchee, speak Korean, and anything else I want to know. In turn, I have agreed to meet her every Sunday evening at the river for a little exercise.
I know what you all must be thinking, right? Someone is looking out for me? Well, maybe they are. All my love….

3 comments:
That's my baby girl, back again and stompin'! Love and Hugs sweetheart, Mom
Hey Alaine! I have been keeping up with your blog, very exciting stuff! I love all of your pictures. I'm so glad you made a new friend too, I know it has to be tough being on the other side of the world with none of your family there! Keep us posted!
Love,
Amy (from DI)
those dumplings look yummy... do you have a mailing address in korea?
Post a Comment